Hot And Sour SoupServes Four
- 2 pounds (900g) of shrimp, chicken breast or any kind of fish, cut to bite sizes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) tamarind powder
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) sugar
- half a pineapple, cut into small pieces or half a 500-ml can of pineapple tidbits
- half pound (250 g) fresh bean sprouts
- 2 celery stalks, cut to 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 to 10 wedges each
- 1 taro root stem (you can find this at almost any Vietnamese grocery store)
- fresh basil
- fried garlic
- fresh Chili (spicy ingredient optional)
2) Add pineapple, bean sprouts, celery, tomatoes and taro stem; continue to boil.
3) Add a pinch of fresh basil, garlic and chili and turn off the heat. Serve with steamed rice on the side.
Cecilia's Vietnamese Chicken SaladServes 6 to 8
- 1 lb (500 g) marinated chicken breast, skinless, boneless (see final directions below for marinade)
- 1 bag mixed baby greens
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) raw sesame seeds
- 1 cup (250 mL) red vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar
- 6 tablespoons (1/3 cup) water
- 6 tablespoons (1/3 cup) white vinegar
To prepare chicken breast, slice each piece into 4 slices and marinate 30 minutes in the following mixture: 1 clove garlic, 5 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons oil. Grill on both sides untill golden.
Presentation: Put salad greens on a platter. Top with chicken and lemongrass pickle. Top with mango. Drizzle on dressing. Top with sesame seeds. Sprinkle with black pepper. Do not toss. Serve now.